In our third (!) Halloween episode, we discuss cults - how they affect women, how they work, and historical and modern American cults.
What do silverware, self-help groups, and science fiction actors have to do with cults? You’ll find out!
Misty discusses the Oneidas - their surprising beliefs on gender roles and their dangerous approach to communal living. Allegra shares an overview of how Keith Raneire built NXIVM on misogyny.
Whether it’s a doomsday cult or a utopia gone wrong, cults are dangerous, sometimes especially for women.
Want extra reading? Check out our sources:
- The Vow, HBO
- Dr. Janja Lalich “Why Do People Join Cults?”: Ted Talk
- On the Oneidas: http://www.nyhistory.com/central/oneida.htm
- The Oneida handbook: https://library.syr.edu/digital/collections/h/Hand-bookOfTheOneidaCommunity/
- Women and Cults: https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/power-female-cult-leaders
- “Holy Shit, We’re In a Cult” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ess8txBX0&feature=youtu.be
- “I Grew Up in a Cult. It was Heaven - and Hell” (Ted Talk) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7mBbXxJYA&t=396s
- Nice Try! Podcast, Episode 4 “Oneida”
- The Truth About True Crime Podcast, Season 1 (Terror in the Jungle, about Jonestown)
- The Truth About True Crime Podcast, Season 2 (Ministry of Evil, about the Alamos)
- Uncover Podcast: Season 1: Escaping NXIVM
- “The ‘Not Me’ Myth,” by Margaret Thaler Singer. Published by IDEA: http://www.ideajournal.com/authors.php?id=4
- “NXIVM leader found guilty,” NPR: https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/734116183/nxivm-leader-keith-raniere-found-guilty-of-all-charges-in-sex-cult-case
- Lost Women of NXIVM - Investigation Discovery
- Seduced - Starz
Profess-Hers is presented by Misty, a History professor, and Allegra, an English professor, both of whom are here for having a serious, fun conversation about looking at literature, history, current events, pop culture, and media through a feminist lens.
Find the Profess-Hers Podcast on Twitter and Instagram @Professhers.
Profess-Hers is written and created by Allegra Davis Hanna and Misty Wilson-Mehrtens. We produce the show ourselves, with help from Austin Haynes.